Finding that great tight end can set you apart from everyone else in your league. Here are the top 5 tight ends that should take your team to the next level.
1. Colt Lyerla, Oregon– I give Lyerla the number one spot due to his sheer athleticism. He occasionally lines up in the powerful Oregon backfield. I expect the Ducks to utilize their freak tight end in 2013. Look for Lyerla to almost double his catches from last season of 22.
In the high powered Oregon offense, it’s tough to know where the ball is going to go, but Lyerla is too good of an athlete not to use him. Look for him to at least haul in seven touchdowns for the Ducks.
2. Chris Coyle, Arizona State- This guy was a top tight end target a year ago. He led the Sun Devils with 57 receptions for 696 yards and 5 touchdowns. He very well could be the top tight end choice for 2013.
3. Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, Washington- ASJ would also be my top tight end but he has a current two game suspension to serve for a DUI as of right now. He is a vital part of the Huskies’ offense and should account for at least four catches per game and could approach double digit touchdowns. His suspension is what keeps him from being higher on the list.
4. Gator Hoskins, Marshall, The Thundering Herd tight end caught just 35 passes but scored on 10 of them. Look for his receptions to increase in 2013 as quarterback Rakeem Cato will need to establish another aerial that opposite of Tommy Shuler.
5. Eric Ebron, North Carolina- This may be the tight end with the most promise in 2013. In the spread offense at North Carolina, Ebron may be required to line up as a receiver and linebackers will not be able to cover him. The 6-4, 235 lb tight end is a very solid option at the position.